Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tips for Better Summer Photography

Well Summer's here. It's time to dust off those cameras, get outside and start shooting. I was taking some pictures just a couple days ago and the thought occurred to me that it would probably be pretty cool if I compiled a list of some tips for Summer photography. So without further ado:

1.) Flash Outdoors:
Outside portraits just aren't the same if you blow out the sky. Instead, try using some fill flash (or high sync speeds) will allow you to tame the ambient light all while creating a nice portrait of your subject.



2.) No Flash, No Problem:
Position your subject so that the sun is to their back and check out nature's rim light:


3.) Give 'Em Flare: Lens flare that is... When used right it can really help to add that extra oomph to the image and warm things up. Take this image for example. Just a little bit of flare to accent the image.




4.) Spritz Away:
If you are shooting macro work of flowers, be sure to bring along a mini spray bottle and give the plants a couple squirts of water. This makes it look just like morning dew and adds some extra impact to the image. Add some flash and watch those water droplets twinkle.


5.) Work The Angles:
There are only so many ways you can take a picture. Get creative. Get on a ladder and shoot down, lay down and shoot low, shoot through foliage or even move around your subject. You have 360 degrees of view around them so why not use it?

Take a look:

Shooting down is cool and can be a real helper to naturally thin your subject's face.
Hotwire-Digital - Buy Hasselblad - All Things Hasselblad


This next example shows an alright image (if I do say so myself):
Hotwire-Digital - Buy Hasselblad - All Things Hasselblad


But watch when I get lower and shoot through the foliage. Now the image is more personal. When you shoot through foliage, it is almost as if the image takes on a completely different feel.
Hotwire-Digital - Buy Hasselblad - All Things Hasselblad




6.) Refresh/Recharge:
After a long winter, nothing is better than going out and picking up a new toy to play with. Whether it's a new lens, camera or accessory. I truly feel that new equipment helps make you a better photographer. I am not saying that the gear makes the photographer, what I am saying is this; If I just got a new lens or camera, you better believe that I am not going to put it down. That means I am shooting more. When you shoot more, you are getting more practice and more practice means you get better. I think it is a chain reaction.

My BIG purchase this year was my new Hasselblad H3DII-31. You better believe that it isn't leaving my sight and I am shooting more than ever! The best part is that I am shooting for myself again. When you own your own photography business, it is easy to get burned out shooting exclusively for your clients. I am finding myself going out and photographing landscapes and taking time out for myself. What a breath of fresh air that is! If you want to pick a Hasselblad up too then the best time to do it is now. The promotions that are going on are just too good to pass up.

You only have until June 30th (yeah like a couple days from now) of this year to cash in so hurry!


You can get an H3DII-31 for as little as $12,995! That is about $3,000 in savings alone! If you want to roll with the big boys then you can really cash in; A H3DII-50 and the new 35-90mm zoom lens for $29,995. The savings you get there is truly astonishing!

On August 1st, these prices jump back up to their original MSRP so act now and save big bucks!

If you want to pick one up then shoot me an email at mbielat@hotwire-digital.com anytime. I can answer your questions and get one of these bad boys in your hands.

Take care and thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment